Troopers working from the Indiana State Police Methamphetamine Suppression Section want Hoosiers to be aware of changes to the Indiana criminal code as it relates to methamphetamine. For most law abiding citizens the law will have little if any effect on their day to day lives. For people who have been convicted of engaging in activities related to the illegal manufacturing and use of methamphetamine, the changes to the law can lead to their arrest if violated. Officers want people to pay close attention to Indiana criminal code 35-48-4-14.5(h). It states, in part, that a person convicted of one of the listed criminal offenses is prohibited from possessing ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, or phenylpropanolamine within seven years of the person's sentence. They can obtain ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, or phenylpropanolamine if dispensed under a prescription.
** AS OF JULY 1st 2013 **
Indiana law regarding the Sale and Control of Ephedrine and Pseudoephedrine:
A person may not purchase and a pharmacy may not sell to one individual: more than
(1) 3.6 grams of ephedrine or pseudoephedrine, or both, on one day;
(2) 7.2 grams of ephedrine or pseudoephedrine, or both, in a 30 day period; or,
(3) 61.2 grams of ephedrine or pseudoephedrine, or both, in a 365 day period.
(I.C 35-48-4-14.7(d) and (e))
POSSESSION BY A METH OFFENDER
Prohibits a person convicted of one or any of the following charges:
(1) Dealing in methamphetamine,
(2) Possession of more than ten grams of ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, or
(3) Possession of anhydrous ammonia or ammonia solution with intent to
Troopers Want to Make the Public Aware of Changes to Indiana’s Methamphetamine Law
(4) Possession of two or more chemical reagents or precursors with the intent to
manufacture a controlled substance,
(5) Unlawful sale of a precursor;
from possessing ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, or phenylpropanolamine within seven years of the person's sentence, unless dispensed under a prescription.
UNLAWFUL SALE OF A PRECURSOR
It is illegal for a person to sell, transfer, distribute, or furnish a chemical reagent or precursor to another person with knowledge or the intent that the recipient will use the chemical reagent or precursors to manufacture a controlled substance.
Citizens are encouraged to call their local law enforcement agencies with any information about the possession, distribution, or manufacturing of methamphetamine. Information can also be reported anonymously by calling the Indiana State Police Methamphetamine Tip Line at 1-800-453-4756.
# # #...