In LaPorte, police announced today that so far in 2014, they have investigated 287 property damage crashes and 57 personal injury crashes. Police say during the same period in 2013, the department investigated 252 property damage and 52 personal injury crashes, and attribute the increases this year to the very severe winter and the resulting poor driving conditions. Police report the number of alcohol related crashes for the period was exactly the same for both years, at 14.
Here is a list of the most dangerous intersections in the City of La Porte in terms of the number of crashes.
- E Lincolnway/Boyd Boulevard with 10 crashes.
- Lincolnway/Tipton Street with 8 crashes.
- Indiana Avenue/Lincolnway with 8 crashes.
- Lincolnway/Michigan Avenue with 7 crashes.
- Lincolnway/Jackson Street with 4 crashes.
- E Lincolnway/Frontage Road with 4 crashes.
LaPorte Police report they will be working 60 hours of Operation Pull Over funded seat belt patrols this month, in addition to their usual participation in impaired driving patrols every weekend evening.